Monday, June 30, 2008

A Weekend of Pride

(Full disclosure - Jackie usually writes these posts, but today I am sneaking in with some pictures I just uploaded from my phone - Jessica)

I have to say that over the past five or so years, I have not been that excited about Pride or the parade that goes with it. But we did march a few years ago with Project Open Hand, and to have thousands of people clap for me for no reason at all, except that I was walking upright, was a pretty cool feeling. I guess I'm a sucker for recognition.

But this year, we decided to march with the Our Family/Colage contingents. We figured Ezra could use the applause and the connectedness.
It started like this:
Ezra started out on his scooter and soon learned to navigate around the tracks on Market Street. But he soon tired of that and just walked.
I think he found this boring until he realized that if he waved, people waved back. And if he combined the wave with a little scream and a wave of his sign (above), he was a kind of a hit with the crowds.



Our friends and 'allies' Viru and Plum met us for the march, and they were very convincing and supportive members of our family.






After a walk through the Mission and a good tapas meal, we headed to Bi-Rite Creamery.

He ate the whole thing. We were very proud. And nervous.

No comments: